Senior Vehicle Engineering Manager
The main purpose of this role is to manage and control all aspects of vehicle engineering through liaison between Programme Manager, VLD, Chief Engineers, Prototype Operations and PAT/PMT leaders to deliver robust product within cost, time, programme constraints and meeting Vehicle Engineering led programme attribute targets.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Lead the development of targets for vehicle attributes in conjunction with the VLD, Programme Manager, Chief Engineers, PMT Leaders and PAT’s working from high level Marketing PALS wants down to system and component targets.
- Manage total vehicle quality (including liaising with NML/NMO relating to QLAM target achievement), weight and functional objectives, report status throughout programme and deliver solutions to meet requirements.
Architecture & Design
- Assist with the development of vehicle architecture types whether it be whole platform or system archetypes to ensure attribute targets are delivered.
- Run DJ events and sign releases to ensure all parts are fit for function and meet targets.
- Lead attribute balancing and new technology benchmarking as part of product definition.
- Lead Vehicle Engineering support functions (attribute leaders/block leaders) into delivering attribute solutions to meet targets.
- Ensure attribute concerns are closed within the timeframes dictated at each build phase of the programme and the closure plans and solutions meet VEM defined targets.
- Lead vehicle sign off events, evaluation drives and resolution of issues post build prior to PMT handover.
- Arrange and lead regular VET drive assessments with VPs, Directors, VLDs and key stakeholders in line with gateway requirements and demonstration points for attribute progression/milestones. Define to the PMT’s what attributes should be presented at each drive event and ensure delivery of these attributes meet Vehicle Engineering targets. Ensure gaps to target are visible and closure plans identified.
Design Verification Planning:
- Develop whole vehicle test plans to demonstrate functional and attribute performance to meet design requirements and programme targets (DV & PV).
- Critique and validate individual PMT DVP’s to ensure development and S/O tests are valid, justified and meet programme key gateways (PEC/FEC). Where necessary coach PMT leaders and teams on robust DVP generation.
- Ensure the programme VPP meets with DVP requirements.
- Ensure the Prototype build timing, vehicle quantities and specifications support PMT requirements for DVP testing, development and S/O.
- Lead the design of prototype builds including specifications and bridging parts and take part in regular design reviews to ensure prototypes are fit for purpose.
- Ensure adequate test parts are ordered for all builds to support DVP requirements.
- Manage the Vehicle Engineering Fleet Coordinators into achieving day to day tasks including effective fleet management to support DVP and tuning activities.
- Represent Vehicle Engineering in cross-functional teams and meetings and take a lead where appropriate to resolve conflicts.
- Review Vehicle Engineering processes/procedures and initiate improvements to gain product quality, efficiency and timing.
- Report out status at Gateways in line with MISSION Vehicle Engineering deliverables on all vehicle verification activities (Vehicle, Rig and CAE) and attribute/target achievement and alignment.
Qualification & Experience:
- Mechanical, production or automotive Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Experience in component design, development, testing and S/O
- Competent with FMA tools, techniques and principals
- Experience in vehicle test and development activities
- Capable of using Microsoft Office tools
- Experience of AMPCS
Remuneration Package includes:
- Two Car Schemes – One Management Lease Vehicle and one premium lease vehicle (or two lease vehicles) or One management lease vehicle in retirement (from Ford product range only).
- Up to 20% Bonus potential (subject to Company and Personal performance)
- Private Medical Cover (or equivalent cash benefit) - Up to Family Cover
- Travel Insurance (or equivalent cash benefit) - Up to Family Cover
- Cash Plan (or equivalent cash benefit) - Up to Family Cover
- Dental Insurance (or equivalent cash benefit) – Employee only
- 26 Days + Bank Holidays
- Service Days - One service day for each 5 years of service up to a maximum of 5 service days.
- Company Pension Scheme
Millbank are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Millbank operates as an Employment Agency and Business.