Mechanical Design Manager
Our client is an award winning UK engineering company developing custom robotics and automation solutions for a global blue chip customer base.
Due to an increase in productivity we are seeking to recruit a highly motivated Mechanical Design Manager to manage a small team of design engineers working on design solutions for technically complex multi-disciplined (M&E and software) projects.
The mechanical design manager will be responsible for providing day to day leadership of the mechanical design team, managing resources to ensure designs are delivered on time and in accordance with overall project timeframes. The role is ‘hands on’ whereby the manager will be expected to also carry out a direct design function.
The role will involve:
- Providing technical input from general concept through to final detail design.
- Checking detail drawings and reviewing designs to ensure they meet specifications.
- Carrying out design risk assessments to BS EN ISO 12100-2010 and ensuring designs meet the requirements of any relevant standards in accordance with the Machinery Directive.
- Carrying out engineering calculations in support of designs.
- Liaising with management, project teams, clients and suppliers.
- Ensuring work is carried out in accordance with quality processes.
- Qualified to Degree level - preferably in Mechanical Engineering, professional status (e.g. C.Eng).
- A minimum of 3 years experience in technical management of a team of design engineers.
- Several years experience of using Solidworks and Autocad CAD packages.
- Exceptional communication skills, strong client facing skills as well as strong management and team leading capabilities.
- Knowledge/familiarity with 6 axis robots, tooling and pneumatic design.
- Able to Develop technical solutions to meet project and customer expectations
- Understanding of machinery regulations and the health and safety aspects of machinery design.
- Ability to carry out engineering calculations to support designs.
- Ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Willing to travel in UK, Europe and USA.
- Working to well documented QA Systems
- Commercial appreciation
- Experience of proof of concept/development work including product development lifecycles.
- Experience in the detail design of automated robotic laboratory equipment and industrial machinery
- Development of technical documentation and specifications
- Sales support to generate proposal cost estimates and quotation documents.
Millbank are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Millbank operates as an Employment Agency and Business.