Principal Engineer - Transport & Engineering
We are working in partnership with a client that provides technical expertise and commercial insight to deliver asset and infrastructure projects worldwide. They are a multidiscipline engineering consultancy that are technical specialists to support every point of a project's lifecycle for their clients.
Due to their ongoing success and a significant existing workload their Scottish Planning and Transport Team is seeking a career minded and driven Principal Engineer with design experience. This unique role offers exciting career prospects and the opportunity to work with our established team of Civil Engineers in Glasgow and Edinburgh.
The location for the role is offered on a flexible basis and can be undertaken from either (or both) our client’s Edinburgh or Glasgow offices.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The role requires a confident, methodical individual with a proven history in road design delivery. At this senior role, you will be technically proficient in most aspects of transport engineering design and should possess a sound understanding of current legislation and relevant guidance. An understanding of the Scottish Market including private sector and Local Authority service requirements would be a distinct advantage.
More specifically the successful candidate will exhibit a willingness and ability on:
- Team workload management;
- Team skills development through implementing current best practice, and innovation;
- Preparation of client briefs, fee proposals and tender preparation;
- Ensuring technical content and quality produced to budget and brief;
- Project Management including monitoring financial performance;
- Establishing strong working relationships with clients through project delivery and business development.
- Developing strong client relationships based on the ability to communicate and negotiate directly with clients.
- Delivery of transport engineering projects through both preliminary and / or detailed design stages including an ability to effectively manage project commercial risks
- Developing and maintaining a highly motivated project delivery team
- Providing technical expertise in Transport Engineering design, particularly active travel design
Skills & Experience:
- Your technical skills in this role should enable you to demonstrate experience, knowledge and understanding of DMRB and Manual for Streets & Designing Streets design standards and Local Authority procedures in relation to the design and construction of transport engineering schemes.
- You should have recent and relevant experience at a senior level within a transport engineering team in an environment involving the development of schemes for private developers and Scottish Local Authorities.
- You should be proficient in the use of industry standard computer software and proficient in roads design standards, production of S278 / RCC or equivalent detailed design drawings and have experience of negotiating agreements.
- You should also have knowledge and experience of using 3D highway modelling software, ideally 3D Civils.
- You will be qualified in Civil Engineering or similar and working towards or already possess a relevant professional qualification.
- You will be able and willing to support to the team in achieving their chosen career paths through mentorship and sharing of your experience.
- You will be expected to provide technical reviews and design approvals of all aspects of design team outputs.
- As a driven individual, you will be keen to explore innovation in design to provide effective design solutions and to develop and grow client relationships.
- As such you should poses excellent written and oral communication skills with a keen interest in business development.
- The ideal candidate should also able to demonstrate a strong understanding of the Scottish Market.
Millbank are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Millbank operates as an Employment Agency and Business.