Rate: £29-31 per hour
Job Type: Contract
Location: West Midlands
Expiration date: 14 July 2017
Aston Martin’s state-of-the-art headquarters in Gaydon, Warwickshire is built upon the passion, skill and creativity of the people who dedicate their working lives to the most iconic brand in the world. Every intricate stitch, beautifully expressed line, and the stirring noise of our engines, is a manifestation of the desire and collective spirit to create the most beautiful cars: the soul of Aston Martin made real. The purpose of the Lead Engineer – Exterior Mirrors / Regulators is to lead the development and integration of Body Mechanism systems and components on a new vehicle programme.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks
• Provide technical leadership for Exterior Mirrors and Power Window Mechanisms commodity groups.
• Ensure progression of design maturity from initial concept approval through to Final Data Judgement
(FDJ) and Final Engineering Sign-Off (FESO) in line with agreed programme gateways and
• Define appropriate system-level engineering targets to meet programme function, quality and
• Develop and maintain the design validation plan (DVP) including both in-house and supplier testing
and ensure development and sign-off tests are completed on schedule.
• Develop System Design Specifications incorporating engineering standards, test procedures and
material specifications and update these based on quality history and lessons-learned from
previous AML programmes.
• Lead Failure Mode Avoidance activities including DFMEA, quality history reviews, development tests
and CAE study requests as required.
• Lead the resolution of design, attribute or packaging incompatibilities through the appropriate
cross-functional forums including Programme Module Sub-Team (PMST), Virtual Concept Integration
Meeting (VCIM), Section Reviews, Engineering Technical Forum, including presenting at these
forums where required.
• Support vehicle launch and pre-production builds (both virtual and physical) and ensure
progression of engineering concerns through initial containment, root cause analysis and permanent
Qualifications & Experience
• Engineering degree (or equivalent)
• Experience within automotive engineering / product development
• Proven experience in development and/or integration of exterior mirrors and/or regulators on new vehicle programmes.
• Relevant experience in automotive glazing / sealing, closures, exterior trim and/or wash-wipe systems may be considered.
• Proven ability to deliver engineering solutions in line with cost, quality and attribute targets
• Understands testing and validation requirements for automotive body systems
• Familiar with failure mode avoidance techniques including DFMEA
• Good understanding of manufacturing techniques and tooling including stamping, casting, injection moulding and fabrication.
• Commodity-specific knowledge on latest technology and industry benchmarks applicable to exterior mirrors, and window regulators.
• Proficient in the use of Teamcentre / VisMockup to interrogate CAD designs.
• CAD literate (Siemens NX) – desirable but not essential.
• Self-starting and self-motivated - Able to work with minimal supervision.
• Able to balance conflicting requirements within cross-functional teams and positively influence decisions on product definition and design.
• Thorough, data-driven approach to solving engineering issues.
• Excellent organisational skills, ability to deliver under pressure and manage multiple tasks.
• Confident communicator – able to present at design reviews and technical forums.