Salary: Dependent on experience
Industry: Water & Utilities
Job Type: Permanent
Location: South East
Expiration date: 08 September 2017
We are working in partnership with a global consultancy that specialises in delivering project in the water and natural resources sectors. The provide support and engineering throughout the project lifecycle covering all disciplines operating in over 35 countries.
An opportunity is available for a Civil Estimator to join a leading consultancy that is working on a major framework project within the Water Industry.
Based at Falmer you will be working as part of a team to help to produce the Target Cost estimates for a range of water and wastewater projects ranging in value from £300k to £10M. This role could suit a Civil Engineer who is looking to gain experience within Estimating.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The individual projects are the design and construction of improvements to clean water and dirty water treatment plants, including pumping stations and sea outfalls. Individual projects within the programme will range in value from £250K up to £20M.
You will report directly to the Estimating Manager and duties/responsibilities of the role will include:
• Working in the Estimating Team to successfully compile the Target Cost for all packages of work on clean water and wastewater projects
• Review Works Information Packs issued by the client
• Co-ordinate and liaise with designers, suppliers, specialist sub-contractors and in-house resources.
• Visit sites to establish additional constraints and to capture any constructability issues and risk
• Produce detailed activity schedules that captures all scope whilst meeting the requirements of the client’s cost capture system
• Obtain accurate quotations from civil and specialist subcontractors who are approved for work on the Framework
• Assess subcontractor quotations to ensure compliance against scope and specifications for use in ‘Top-down’ and ‘Bottom-up’ pricing
• Assist with managing subcontract enquiries to ensure the scope is fully allowed for and identify any additional requirements
• Ability to negotiate the tender price from suppliers and subcontractors
• Liaison with supply chain partners to ensure best engineering practice and best value to the client
• The timely completion of multiple concurrent tenders with a fast turnaround in a Framework Environment
• Compile and collate final submission documentation and data sheets etc. for inclusion into tenders
• Ensure consistency and coherency of all aspects of target cost estimates.
• Participate in handover of successful bids to the delivery team (including risks and opportunities)
• Ensure the delivery team understand the technical and commercial aspects of the project and key programme issues, to meet the expectations of the client
• Knowledge of civil structures, minor building and refurbishment issues
• Ability to identify the temporary works requirements for the project
• Water / Utilities experience
• Basic awareness of LV switchgear, instrumentation, control and automation would be an advantage, as much of the work is process orientated
• Capacity to manage and prioritise a high volume of work that requires completion within tight timeframes to meet the demands of the contract
• Demonstrate commercial acumen
• An industry applicable ONC/HNC, degree or NVQ equivalent
• Working knowledge of Microsoft packages, especially MS Excel
Previous experience of Estimating on Civil and Water Treatment related projects