Salary: £42,000 per year
Job Type: Permanent
Location: West Midlands
Expiration date: 18 October 2017
Aston Martin’s state-of-the-art headquarters in Gaydon, Warwickshire is built upon the passion, skill and creativity of the people who dedicate their working lives to the most iconic brand in the world. Every intricate stitch, beautifully expressed line, and the stirring noise of our engines, is a manifestation of the desire and collective spirit to create the most beautiful cars: the soul of Aston Martin made real. The purpose of this role is to lead the development and integration of Exterior trim and Body Mechanism systems and components on a new vehicle platforms.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks
• Develop platform strategies for side zone exterior trim and mechanisms (Exterior Mirrors, Power Window mechanisms, glazing and sealing) including cost and timing estimates in response to proposed new vehicle programmes and platform updates.
• Lead all engineering activity on platform commodities including coordinating in-house design and defining supplier design and development responsibilities (RFQ, Statement of Work, Technical specs).
• Define appropriate system-level engineering standards and platform functional, quality and durability targets.
• Responsible for engineering releases for platform commodity tooling and production parts.
• Develop and maintain timing plans for platform commodities and ensure progression against key milestones.
• Lead Failure Mode Avoidance activities including DFMEA, quality history reviews, development tests and CAE study requests as required.
• Support vehicle launch and pre-production builds (both virtual and physical) and ensure progression of engineering concerns through initial containment, root cause analysis and permanent corrective actions.
Qualifications & Experience
• Engineering degree (or equivalent)
• Extensive experience within automotive engineering / product development
• Proven experience in development and/or integration of exterior mirrors, power window systems, glazing and / or sealing on new vehicle programmes.
• Relevant experience in closure systems, exterior trim, roof systems and/or wash-wipe systems may be considered.
• Proven ability to deliver engineering solutions in line with cost, quality and attribute targets
• Understands testing and validation requirements for automotive body systems
• Familiar with failure mode avoidance techniques including DFMEA
• Good understanding of manufacturing techniques and tooling including stamping, casting, injection moulding and fabrication.
• Commodity-specific knowledge on latest technology and industry benchmarks applicable to exterior mirrors, and window regulators.
• Proficient in the use of Teamcentre / VisMockup to interrogate CAD designs
• CAD literate (Siemens NX) – desirable but not essential
• Self-starting and self-motivated - Able to work with minimal supervision.
• Able to balance conflicting requirements within cross-functional teams and positively influence decisions on product definition and design.
• Thorough, data-driven approach to solving engineering issues
• Excellent organisational skills, ability to deliver under pressure and manage multiple tasks.
• Confident communicator – able to present at design reviews and technical forums
• Full driving licence
• Role may require periods of working at other manufacturing site(s) in the UK and occasional travel to suppliers in UK and Europe.