Rate: £28-30 per hour
Job Type: Contract
Location: West Midlands
Expiration date: 24 October 2017
The purpose of this role is to design & develop new and existing vehicle electrical distribution systems (Harnesses, Battery cables, Fuse boxes and Ground leads).
Key Responsibilities & Tasks
• Ownership of design and development of EDS (harness etc.) components from concept to production to meet program deliverables.
• The EDS engineer will be responsible for leading the PMST covering: Functionality, Costs, Timing, Quality, Weight, DVP status, meeting all legislative requirements and Supplier Liaison.
• Manage a team of supplier EDS engineers based on site at Gaydon.
• Work closely with the circuit engineer to manage the circuit instructions (DT’s) and circuit changes through prototype build phases.
• Component releasing and change control management.
• Control engineering concerns through ECMS and report out to the line manger as part of a weekly commodity review.
• Completion of DFMEA’s and support sub-system/supplier DFMEA reviews.
• Control of Design Verification Plans and Sign off Report for owned components.
• Prototype parts procurement.
• Support prototype vehicle builds and vehicle launches (supervision of build technicians and supplier).
• Work closely with the Quality team and supplier to solve any problems (8D Process).
• Ability to think outside the box and generate new and better solutions for EDS.
• Ensure latest materials and technology are kept up to date and implemented at the earliest possible opportunity.
• Cross functional liaison is essential working with: Manufacturing, Purchasing, Service, Quality, Logistics, Program Teams, Prototype Operations, and Legislation.
Qualifications & Experience
• Experience in automotive electrical design and development.
• Extensive knowledge of EDS and how it is manufactured.
• Ability to re-work vehicle harnesses and interrogate vehicle circuits.
• Good experience and knowledge of vehicle electrical systems and experience of project management.
• Project managed new or modified EDS successfully into production (PMST Leader).
• Working knowledge of Relevant Regulations and approvals.
• Experience of leadership or clear evidence of leadership ability.
• Manage a large workload in a high pressure environment with good report writing skills.
• Ability to analyse data from supplier testing and work to timely solutions when required.
• Must be proactive and trust their initiative using minimum supervision to produce practical solutions.
• Ability to support and input at DFMEA reviews, also support prototype builds.
• Good IT skills with the ability to generate metrics through Excel spreadsheet management.
• Must have a clean and valid driving license.
The successful candidate must hit the ground running with a well-established team under significant daily pressure of work. The candidate must show strong character attributes as well as the necessary knowledge and experience above. The best candidate will be open-minded and lateral thinking in the face of stiff timing and product targets. The candidate must be proactive and trust their initiative using minimum supervision to produce practical solutions.