Salary: £45,000 - £55,000 DoE
Job Type: Permanent
Location: West Midlands
Expiration date: 08 November 2017
****Previous Rail experience essential****
Under the direction of the Senior Project Manager and Rail Director, this Project Manager will be responsible for a significant project within the Rail sector.
In operation, they will successfully manage large scale and complicated multidisciplinary detailed design or for railway system projects including Electrification & Plant, Gauge clearance, Civil Structural and general building. Projects from inception through to completion, delivering work that meets project requirements, customer satisfaction and in accordance with our clients standards. In the commercial arena they will take ownership of project commercial issues.
To maintain or grow the actual gross margin from order receipt to customer acceptance.
To minimise the work in progress
To meet the milestones agreed with the customer.
To achieve a Customer Satisfaction of 80% perfect delivery
To promote safety in design and at site.
Principal responsibilities and accountabilities
• To manage performance of enquiries or projects within budget (prime cost, fee, programme)
• To act as key interface with clients
• To achieve required quality standard in terms of Electrification, Gauge clearance and Construction Management as appropriate
• To ensure highest possible HSE standards are achieved
• Advise the project team on project planning activities and initiatives and present recommendations and project delivery status updates to key customers and stakeholders
• Prepare financial spreadsheets, summarise information and communicate results to key customers and stakeholders
• Lead, review and challenge project budgets and forecast to ensure a consistent, challenging but deliverable approach is adopted
• Deliver all projects demonstrating a thorough understanding of associated processes and technology and an understanding of Primavera planning software and Projectwise.
• Develop and manage key customer relationships, through regular reviews of contract performance with customers, understanding and managing needs and gaps and report monthly to internal project review board.
• Proactively deliver quality to the satisfaction of our customers in line with our clients philosophy.
• Implement the clients management, monitoring and control mechanisms, policies and procedures to ensure compliance and adherence to statutory and legal requirements and manage the projects risks and opportunities in line with company procedures
• Be accountable for, and deliver, high levels of performance in key areas of health and safety, design and engineering environment, sustainability and quality and champion continuous improvement and best value, ensuring compliance with the quality systems which constantly support our Perfect Delivery philosophy
• Actively seek out, drive and promote service excellence, best practice and continuous improvement initiatives
• Manage the appropriate costs within the projects, ensuring maximum utilisation of resources within a Matrix organisation
• Ensure appropriate allocation of other (non-staffing) resources
• Coach and motivate the project team and lead by example
• Ensure inadequate team performance is recognised and handled appropriate
• Continually review sub consultants’ performance
• Ensure all services and installations are designed, built and certified to the required standards and that all functions are carried out in appropriate manner
• Ensure that project costs are rigorously managed and expenditure is recorded accurately at all times
• Review and approve project management plans, and where appropriate health and safety plans
• Support bid development as required including planning bid strategy, resourcing optimal skills sets, overseeing solution development and planning, leading negotiations and tenders
Qualifications and training
• Relevant degree or extensive project focused knowledge plus can demonstrate significant successful high value and complex project management experience
• Preference for a member of the Association for Project Management and/or PRINCE 2 qualification. Detailed knowledge of at least one discipline (Electrification and Gauge clearance, Arch, C&S, M&E) and an ability to co-ordinate multi-disciplinary teams of designers and site investigation specialists.
• Sound understanding and experience in the application of safety legislation and corporate safety procedures, including CDM
• Good understanding of commercial issues affecting project performance and experience in assessing value / evaluating variations of works undertaken
• Specific experience in the Rail Sector
• Demonstrable success and successful delivery of a design, with particular emphasis on multidiscipline and multi interface projects
Technical skills and experience
• Excellent line management skills, with the ability to motivate employees to achieve high standard of compliance and influence team building and culture
• Excellent interpersonal and stakeholder relationship building skills
• Excellent organisational, planning and time management skills; able to manage projects simultaneously without compromising on standards and quality
• Self-driven, results orientated with a positive and pro-active outlook
• Sound knowledge of the Rail Consultancy industry
• Working knowledge of Projectwise and Primavera P6
• Ability to ensure standards and specifications around quality and compliance are met
• Ability to work with senior management to set project and operational targets
• Excellent negotiation and diplomacy skills and the ability to make a sound business case to senior stakeholders
• Shows leadership skills and the ability to mentor staff.