Salary: £40,000-45,000 per year
Job Type: Permanent
Location: West Midlands
Expiration date: 10 November 2017
Product Cost Estimating is a key function of the Purchase Department, who provide Material, Capital (Vendor Tooling), Design and Development, and Prototype Estimates to support the following: • All new AML programs from through to to ensure all cost targets set with our external suppliers are 'value for money'. • Actively participate in the on-going TVM process to support the achievement of AML cost reduction objectives.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks
• Cost Estimates - by analysing how much a component “should cost” to manufacture. Estimate the material used, process time, overheads and profit. Estimate comparison vs. quote & assisted Supplier negotiations with purchase.
• Benchmarking – compare similar components within the AML parts library and competitor vehicles through ‘tear-down’ exercises. Develop component cost database for benchmark analysis.
• Quotation Analysis – AML receive QAFs (Quotation Analysis Forms) from their suppliers. These should be analysed for Value for money. Through supplier visits the Estimator can confirm the content of the QAF and look for “waste” processes and commercial opportunities.
• Supplier Business Reviews – compile Supplier Business Review documentation identifying by cost driver the suppliers cost of manufacturing. To review the suppliers total business model and identify ways to reduce these costs.
• Supplier visits.
• VSM (Value Stream mapping) Cost down – together with the Supplier, the Estimator maps the current and future state maps identifying ways to improve processes and drive down costs.
• Engineering support – to provide guidance to the Engineer of the most cost effective way of producing a component. All cost down modifications must payback incremental costs within one year of introduction.
Qualifications & Experience
• Degree or equivalent in Engineering or Business would be preferable.
• Experience in a comparable role is preferred.
• Working knowledge of Excel and Word is required.
• Use of Access would be an advantage.
• Experience of the car industry or general manufacturing techniques would be an advantage.
• Full Driving license.
• Ability to negotiate and review data with all levels of Management.
• Positively represent the company when visiting Suppliers and remain professional.