Job Type: Permanent
Location: West Midlands
Expiration date: 29 December 2017
Aston Martin’s state-of-the-art headquarters in Gaydon, Warwickshire is built upon the passion, skill and creativity of the people who dedicate their working lives to the most iconic brand in the world. Every intricate stitch, beautifully expressed line, and the stirring noise of our engines, is a manifestation of the desire and collective spirit to create the most beautiful cars: the soul of Aston Martin made real. The purpose of the role is to define an engine system concept from technical information and the product development letter, translate into a design specification and deliver the system through the product development process into production.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks
Deliver new or modified Engine System(s) into production by achieving:
• Function: Generate robust System Design Specification to define system functional targets and deliver components to meet targets. Deliver component/system DFMEAs to define DVP and design guidance. Support Test and Development team to build, plan and complete the DVP, whilst ensuring supplier tests are completed and reported on time.
• Quality: Use AML engineering quality systems (FMEAs, Robustness Studies, QHR) to prevent, identify and resolve potential quality concerns.
• Cost: Support EPMT in definition of programme cost targets and work with suppliers to deliver systems that achieves these targets (Tooling, Engineering and Piece).
• Weight: Support EPMT in definition of programme weight targets and manage CAD engineers to design system that achieves targets.
• Package: Manage CAD engineers to achieve static and dynamic clearance targets. Negotiate component change in other areas of AML Product Development if required to achieve clearances.
• Assembly: Work with manufacturing engineering to ensure that components can be assembled into engines and vehicles repeatable and within required cycle time.
• Programme: Use the AM-Mission system to track progress in completing Unit Gateway deliverables. Present system status to Powertrain Unit Gateways, support Powertrain design reviews, AML Package Meetings and Powertrain PMT meetings.
• Planning: Define and manage a commodity plan for each programme including design and manufacturing lead-times as well as alignment to engine and vehicle programme timing.
• Change Management: Define, maintain and complete Change Tracking Documents and Engineering Release Notices to allow engineering changes to be approved by AML and engine supply partners.
• FMA: Lead system DFMEAs and input to manufacturing PFMEAs.
• Issue Resolution: Report and resolve engineering Concerns via AML eCMS and within the timing guidelines. Use appropriate problem solving tools where required (8D, 6Sigma)
• FDJ (final data judgement): Track FDJ progress and achieve readiness declaration to meet project timing.
• FEC (final engineering completion): Create, maintain and deliver FEC documentation.
• Benchmarking: Acquire and evaluate industry, competitor and emerging technologies appropriate for the engine system and compatibility with the programme targets
Qualifications & Experience
• Educated to Degree level or higher in an engineering discipline, or equivalent relevant experience
• The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate technical expertise in a specific engine system, and be able to take full responsibility for delivery of that system to production.
• Previous delivery of engine or powertrain component product development.
• Engine system or sub-system design and/or development experience.
• Working as part of an engineering product development team.
• Plan and track the spend on tooling, engineering and parts for the system and predict the spend to the end of the project to ensure that it can be completed within the available budget.
• Must be able to present technical information to peers and management.
• Must be able to write technical and project reports as required.
• Knowledge of TCE (Teamcentre Engineering) and Visualization Mockup.
• Proficient in office software (Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Project)
• To operate successfully in this role, the candidate should be able to prioritise multiple tasks on a day to day level, must be flexible and able to communicate at all levels.
• He/she must also be self-motivated and driven to achieve results
• Office based with engineering support for prototype workshop and production line as required.
• Visits to suppliers’ facilities / testing locations (UK and worldwide) or the engine manufacturing plant.
• Driving licence and medical clearance to use high speed tracks and hot and cold environmental chambers if required to support development activities.