Job Type: Permanent
Location: West Midlands
Expiration date: 05 December 2017
Job Purpose: The purpose of the job is to manage the project team to deliver a new engine product from concept into production. Control project resource, communication, finance, timing and gateway reviews to deliver the product specification target attributes within budget and on time. Technically and commercially challenge and enforce accountability with consultancy and supplier partners
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Deliver a new or technical evolution Engine Assembly project into production on time, to budget and to quality whilst meeting attribute targets.
• Leadership: Manage the engines PMST team and outsourced engineering partners to deliver engine sub-system designs into production. Manage direct report resource.
• Quality: Manage the utilisation of AML engineering quality teams and systems (FMEAs, Robustness Studies, etc) to identify, contain and resolve potential quality concerns.
• Cost: Definition of whole engine programme cost targets and control of PMSTs and suppliers to deliver sub-systems that achieve these targets. Evaluate multi-million pound RFQ responses and orchestrate supplier evaluation study.
• Weight: Definition of programme weight targets and manage PMSTs to engineer sub-systems that achieve targets.
• Function: Generate robust Whole Engine System Design Specification to define product functional targets that satisfy vehicle programme target attributes. Steer the Test and Development team in DVP planning and execution.
• Package: Manage CPMTs/CAD engineers to achieve engine assembly static and dynamic clearance targets. Arbitrate engine component package envelope, as well as negotiate a change in other areas of AML Product Development to achieve acceptable compromises.
• Assembly: Interface, direct and challenge manufacturing engineering to ensure that the engine assembly and auxiliary systems can be built and installed into vehicles repeatedly and within required cycle time and cost.
• AM-Mission: Plan, orchestrate, script and present Unit Gateways to senior AML and engineering partner personnel (Director, CFO, CCO, CEO).
• Timing: Define and manage the engine project plan from concept to production launch, including alignment to vehicle programme timing, AM-Mission milestones, design, procurement, engine builds and testing.
• Change Management: Manage and report out component tracking documents (MPT). Monitor Engineering Release Notice progression to manage planning and compromises, and resolve issues and timing concerns.
• Concerns System: Monitor and report upon project eCMS status, and resolve high-risk concerns using appropriate resolution tools (8D, DFMEA, DVP)
• Meetings: Responsible for orchestration of; EPMT Reviews, AM-Mission Gateways, Commercial Reviews, Financial Reporting, Design & Development Reviews, Manufacturing Feasibility Reviews and supporting Engine Plant Governance Reviews.
• FMA: Ensure engine sub-system DFMEA timetable is established and manage progress throughout the design process. Monitor manufacturing PFMEAs progress in support of PSW completion and engineering issue resolution.
• FEC: Achieve Final Engineering Completion for the whole engine project, including guiding all of the engine sub-system CPMT groups to achieve FEC.
• Benchmarking: Acquire and evaluate competitor power unit information and conduct benchmarking studies. Including established and emerging technologies.
• Knowledge & Process: Maintain, protect and enhance AML IPR and standards, using available mechanisms.
Qualification & Experience:
• Educated to Degree level or higher in a relevant engineering discipline, or equivalent relevant experience (see below).
• Thorough technical knowledge in a range of engine disciplines, to enable to take full responsibility for delivery of the engine project from concept proposal through product specification and into production
• Previous delivery of key engine components, systems and/or power units into production.
• Prior demonstration of project management. Astute project control; including resource planning, timing, milestones and meeting disciplines.
• Project finance accountability, control and reporting.
• Programme timing accountability, control and reporting.
• Technical delivery of either/and engine design, development, simulation and validation testing.
• Proven experience as the leader of a product development project to production
• Strong people management; with peers, seniors, project and functional teams and externally
• Budget proposal creation and spend authorisation on tooling, engineering and parts for the whole engine system, and predict the calendarised spend to the end of the project to ensure that it can be completed within the available budget and spend profile.
• Fluent presenter of technical information to senior director level and to external companies.
• An accomplished writer of technical and project status reports.
• Must be able to prioritise, delegate and deliver multiple tasks on a consistent basis
• Must be flexible and identify the necessity for extraordinary application.
• Must be able to communicate appropriately at all levels.
• Must be self-motivated and driven to achieve results.
• Must be able to challenge experts, consultants and seniors by presenting measured opinion
• Must be able to manage, develop and appraise people operationally
• This role will mainly be office based, with engineering support for prototype workshop and production line as required.
• You will be required to regularly visit and/or part-time residency at suppliers facilities/testing locations (The UK and worldwide) or the engine manufacturing plant.
• You will need Driving license & medical clearance to use high-speed tracks and hot and cold environmental chambers if required to support development activities.
A career at Aston Martin means joining one of the world's most respected luxury automotive brands. You have the chance to join us in a truly special working environment - fast-paced, rewarding and dynamic
Please click on the 'apply online' button to submit your application.