Salary: £50,000 - £60,000
Job Type: Permanent
Location: West Midlands
Expiration date: 23 February 2018
The purpose of this role is to apply specialist knowledge of CAD design, manufacturing and assembly processes to the design of the Underframe across programmes to deliver data ready for release in support of programme timing and objectives.
• Lead the design engineering of the underframe assembly from concept to production
• Direct a team of CAD engineers towards design completion
• Apply knowledge to assembly methods, location and geometric validation
• Lead the assembly sequence design in liaison with Advanced Manufacturing Engineers
• Ensure design guidelines are followed
• Deliver CAD geometry and manufacturing data ready for release to Applications Engineers
• Woking in conjunction with Concepts team to propose new model Underframe architecture
• Working in conjunction with the Innovation team to develop new technologies and manage the status and introduction of such technologies into vehicle programmes
• Understand the current industry best practise in the construction of body structures
• Influence the package layout, concept development, vehicle engineering and target setting of the vehicle to ensure we can develop an efficient body structure.
• Manage their own time and plan the development of underframe development in line with program demands.
Qualification and Experience:
• Engineering degree (or equivalent) and experience within automotive engineering / product development
• Proven experience in the delivery of BIW underframe systems and components
• Extensive experience in body structures or directly relevant body engineering
• Experience of leadership in body structures design to meet quality, cost and timing
• Experience in project delivery from concept to serial production
• Deep understanding of mechanical engineering theory and practise applied to body structure construction, assembly and component manufacture.
• Detailed understanding of body engineering construction processes
• Experience in the use of aluminium and composite materials applied to BIW, including extrusions, sheet metal and castings
• Understanding of BIW joining techniques
• Knowledge of datum specification and component tolerancing applied to body structure components
• Extensive knowledge on Siemens NX CAD system desirable
• Knowledge of Siemens TeamCenter PLM Systems