Salary: £26 - £28 per hour
Job Type: Contract
Location: West Midlands
Expiration date: 23 February 2018
Job Purpose: • Supporting the body engineering Programme Module Sub Teams and Programme Attribute Teams in the generation of detailed component and system level engineering targets – through experience/lessons learnt, interrogation of previous programme targets, and benchmarking of competitor products. • Creating & updating Design Verification Plans (DVPs) across Body Engineering Systems and vehicle programs. • Supporting body engineering Programme Module Sub Teams with body commodity related development and testing. • To execute body engineering development & testing particularly for durability, strength and craftsmanship. • To provide proactive, creative and practical problem solving to advance the development of body engineering designs. • Supporting early failure mode detection through the creation and testing of development bucks, sub-assemblies and prototype parts. • To Create, critique, and execute test plans to ensure design verification and reporting is performed in the most effective and efficient manner.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
• Participate in the engineering design from targets through development to sign-off & production
• Support Design reviews from target settings through to development of production parts
• Organise both in-house & out-source testing (liaise with suppliers, organise & follow-up component procurement, organise test planning & manage test method specification)
• Support/Execute component, sub-system, system & whole vehicle tests
• Communicate/Present test results & support technical reviews
• Write/Archive test reports & deviations
• Raise concerns where necessary
• Develop corrective solutions
• Attend Programme Module Sub Team meetings & advise on upcoming changes
• Generate new concept ideas
• Source or fabricate pre-prototype/development parts
• Participate in benchmarking activities to support design & target setting
• Design & build test rigs
• Update current test methods, write new test methods
Qualifications and Experience
• Engineering Degree (or equivalent qualification) – Automotive or Mechanical Engineering preferred
• Experience of hands on testing (body systems, sub-systems & components)
• Experience of using NX, Team Centre and Vis Mock-up would be beneficial
• Experience gained within Automotive industry (experience within other engineering sectors will also be considered)
• Experience in Engineering problem resolving (for example body components, structures & systems)
• Pragmatic hands-on problem solving
• Data recording, analysis & report writing
• Technical & practical workshop skills (build of rigs, use of CAD drawings, GD&T)
• Excellent communication skills: Able to communicate ideas clearly & concisely
• Good physical condition required
• Capability of working under pressure
• Good spatial awareness & conceptual abilities
• Ability to manage multiple demands on time & priorities
• Excellent analytical & systematic approach to problem solving
• Ability to take decisions that minimise engineering risk in a solution
• The successful candidate must be able to learn quickly and integrate into a successful and dynamic team, offering strong character attributes as well as the necessary knowledge and experience above.
• The best candidate will be open-minded and lateral thinking in the face of stiff timing and product targets.
• The successful candidate should be able to exhibit creative problem solving ability and commitment to meet stretch targets. The candidate must be proactive and trust their initiative with minimum supervision to produce practical solutions.
• Clear understanding of deadlines and timing plans based on new vehicle project timing. Particularly Programme Start, Programme Strategy Confirmation, Programme Targets Confirmation, Final Data Judgement and Final Engineering Complete gateways.