Salary: £35,00 - £38,000 pa
Job Type: Permanent
Location: West Midlands
Expiration date: 25 April 2018
Job Purpose The Applications Engineer will lead the cross-functional team to deliver on-time cost, quality, weight & functional performance of their systems & components
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
• Collaborate with cross-functional programme team including application engineers from other Functions, Vehicle Performance & Concept, Purchasing, Manufacturing & Quality to deliver the quality, cost, weight, function and timing requirements for systems and components within scope.
• Ensure that platform engineers & external engineering partners achieve the plan (with their component suppliers), creating & managing recovery plans as required. Manage the Engineering Release of Application components & drive ETRS for platform components.
• Develop permanent corrective design actions for issues arising out of launch. This will require detailed knowledge of BIW Structures, Closures and Underframe systems.
• Lead the cross-functional team to deliver the right solution considering cost, timing and inputs from other key team members. Typically, this will include Manufacturing, Purchasing, Programmes, Cost Estimators, Suppliers, Engineers responsible for interfacing systems and Vehicle Engineering.
• Use Teamcenter to investigate CAD data then work with CAD Engineers and Suppliers to develop proposal parts.
• Once corrective actions are identified, ensure all Engineering Changes are delivered on-time. This will require monitoring of down-stream activities, both internally to AML and with suppliers, to ensure Engineering Release Notices are issued on-time and parts are delivered by the agreed dates to the right cost & quality level.
• Issues are generally assigned to the Applications Engineer once containments are implemented by the Launch Team. However, in some cases, the Applications Engineer will need to take the lead in determining root cause and/or managing more complex systemic issues.
• Maintain AML Concern Management System for those issues which you are designated as owner. This will require regular status updates and prompting others who need to approve or provide inputs to keep the project moving.
Qualifications and Experience
• Minimum Degree level in Engineering or equivalent relevant experience.
• Experience gained within Automotive Industry.
• Experience in one or more of these areas: Underbody, BIW and/or Closures
• Experience of Cost & Attribute Target setting and then managing through to Job#1.
• Experience of working in high pressure pre-production and launch situations.
• Able to clearly present information to all levels in the organisation.
• Proficient in the use of Teamcenter and Vis Mockup
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
• The ideal candidate will be a focused, highly motivated, results orientated individual who works well under pressure and can work to a given deadline
• Able to successfully lead a cross-functional team and ready to step in to take a position of leadership when required.
• Masters level qualification in Automotive or Management.
• Experience of assigning tasks and prioritise to small team to meet deliverables.
• Experience of managing team members who are not their direct reports.
• Experience of working either with Full Service Suppliers or Engineering Service Partners.
• Experience of using a milestone delivery process within the Automotive Industry.
• Knowledge of the AML MISSION process.
• Knowledge and experience of Failure Mode Avoidance techniques.
• Able to lead team members with varying personalities and motivations in an effective manner.
• Full Driving licence, Medical clearance to drive company vehicles.