Project Engineer – HV Charging, Conversion and Distribution
To be responsible for the on-time delivery of HV Distribution, DCDC converters and on-vehicle charging systems and their integration into vehicle and to the grid on all programmes.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks:
As Project Engineer, HV Distribution, Charging and Conversion, you will be responsible for the following activities:
- To define, own and deliver HV Distribution, DCDC conversion and on-vehicle charging systems and their integration into vehicle and to the grid from concept through to production, including achieving:
- Function: Lead generation and delivery of robust technical specifications and timing plans for RFQ, including Functional Safety, Cybersecurity and EMC requirements to ensure compliance
- Package: Manage CAD engineers to achieve static & dynamic clearance targets, negotiate component change in other AML R&D departments if required to achieve clearances.
- Quality: Identify & contain potential quality concerns using engineering quality systems (FMEAs, Robustness Studies)
- Testing & Development: Support the definition of DVP activities and on-time delivery of in-house and supplier tests on rigs and vehicles
- Cost: Definition of programme cost targets and working with suppliers to deliver system that achieves these targets. Maintain control of tooling, engineering & part costs via Cost Management System (CMS) and predict the spend to the end of the project to ensure that it can be completed within the available budget.
- Weight: Definition of programme weight targets and managing CAD engineers to design system that achieves targets
- Main point of contact for HV Distribution, DCDC conversion and on-vehicle charging systems and their integration into vehicle for feasibility, functionality and active resolution of technical issues on given projects
- Deliver the commodity programme to meet Mission Gateway objectives including leading Final Engineering Sign Off activities
- Develop and deliver commodity strategy for all HV Distribution, HV DC/DC converters and on-vehicle charging system alongside commodity plans for each programme including design & manufacturing lead-times and key programme deliverables timing.
- Present status at Gateways and support Powertrain design reviews, Package Meetings & Powertrain PMT meetings.
- Work cross-functionally with other R&D departments (especially Electrical Circuits and EDS teams) to define HV Distribution, DCDC conversion, on-vehicle charging system and efficient power management strategy balancing characteristics to achieve vehicle requirements for minimum cost
- Support all Virtual Verification activities, including packaging, 1D & 3D analyses
- Complete Change Tracking Documents, Engineering Release Notices & Releases to allow engineering changes to be approved.
- Resolve engineering Concerns (using eCMS) in a timely fashion.
- Lead FMEAs and input to manufacturing PFMEAs.
- Acquire and evaluate competitor benchmark information to influence concept creation in early project phases
- Coordinate system and supplier comparison studies and evaluate RFQ responses to influence management decisions
- Establish regular design reviews with cross functional teams
- Support Intellectual Property (IP) team to protect the generated IP
- Train, coach and present technical information at all levels and share the knowledge throughout the company
- Develop and record best practices and lead development of all HV Distribution, DCDC conversion and on-vehicle charging system design manuals to handle the Powertrain Electrification requirements of today and the future
Qualification & Experience:
The essential areas of previous experience required to undertake this role include:
- Delivery of HV Distribution, DCDC converters and on-vehicle charging systems and integration for hybrid and/or electric vehicles
- Hands on experience of working with LV and HV systems
- Knowledge of all relevant vehicle legislation and certification requirements for automotive HV Distribution, DCDC converters and on-vehicle charging systems and their integration
- Successful delivery of systems to automotive Functional Safety, Cybersecurity and EMC requirements
- Led development of charging strategies and charging profiles
- Knowledge of project life cycle management from early R&D to series production
Preferred areas of experience include:
- HV Distribution, DCDC converters and charging system development for high performance hybrid and/or electric vehicles
- Understanding of hybrid and electric powertrain system functionalities and attributes at vehicle, system and component levels
- Leadership of technical teams delivering product development projects to production
- Automotive powertrain electrical, electronic and mechanical integration knowledge
- Leading engagement with engineering partners working on power management commodities
- Automotive electrical design and development
- Vehicle fusing, relays, harness and connectors
- Design of vehicle power management systems
- Data analysis of CAN logs to resolve faults
- Experience of battery load balance requirements
- Automotive battery technology and requirements including battery protection systems
- Leading of sub-system DFMEA reviews
- Leading of design verification plans ensuring timely completion of Final Engineering Sign off
- Component Releasing and Change Control management
- Use of test equipment to support electrical and electronic system testing
- Driving product development issues to a resolution
- Strong user of MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience with CAD (NX, CATIA)
- Responsibility in Formula Student/SAE team
Millbank are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Millbank operates as an Employment Agency and Business.