Expert – Powertrain Electrification (Energy Storage Systems & Cell Testing)
To be responsible for energy storage and cell testing for High Voltage (HV) battery packs for hybrid and electric vehicles across all programmes.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks:
As Expert, HV Battery Systems (Energy Storage & Cell Testing), you will be a technical specialist working primarily with Li-Ion batteries in automotive applications and be responsible for the following activities:
- Leading the creation of High Voltage battery system concepts in early project phases (e.g. cell selection) using your deep technical knowledge of prevalent cell chemistries and battery technology to achieve vehicle attributes
- Acquire and evaluate competitor benchmark information to influence concept creation in early project phases
- To define, own and deliver HV battery pack cell selection, module and pack layouts from concept through to production, including achieving:
- Function: Generate robust System Design Specification to define system functional targets; deliver components to achieve targets; establish regular design reviews with cross functional teams
- DVP: support Test & Development team with DVP planning & execution; and ensure supplier cell testing is completed successfully to budget on time.
- Package: Support CAD engineers to achieve static & dynamic clearance targets, negotiate component change in other R&D departments if required to achieve clearances.
- Quality: Identify & contain potential quality concerns using engineering quality systems (FMEAs, Robustness Studies)
- Cost: Definition of programme cost targets and working with suppliers to deliver system that achieves these targets
- Weight: Definition of programme weight targets and managing CAD engineers to design system that achieves targets
- Main point of contact for HV battery pack energy storage and cell testing for feasibility, functionality and resolution of technical issues
- Support cross-functional working with other R&D departments to define HV and associated LV systems balancing characteristics to achieve vehicle requirements for minimum cost
- Coordinate system and supplier comparison studies and evaluate RFQ responses to influence management decisions
- Support Functional Safety, Cybersecurity and EMC activities to ensure compliance
- Develop and deliver commodity strategy for HV battery pack energy storage
- Support completion of Change Tracking Documents, Engineering Release Notices & Releases to allow engineering changes to be approved by the internal teams.
- Support resolution of engineering Concerns (using eCMS) in a timely fashion.
- Lead cell-related FMEAs and input to manufacturing PFMEAs.
- Support Mission Gateway objectives including Final Engineering Sign Off activities
- Present status at Gateways and support Powertrain design reviews, Package Meetings & Powertrain PMT meetings.
- Support Intellectual Property (IP) team to protect generated IP
- Train, coach and present technical information and share the knowledge throughout the wider group
- Develop and record best practices and support development of design manuals to handle the Powertrain Electrification requirements of today and the future
Qualification & Experience:
The essential areas of previous experience required to undertake this role include:
- Delivery of HV battery energy storage concepts and integration for hybrid and/or electric vehicles
- Delivery of cell testing, validation and data analysis for HV battery systems for hybrid and/or electric vehicles
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of prevalent cell chemistries (performance and lifetime characteristics)
- Hands on experience of working with LV and HV electrical and electronic systems and cell testing
- In depth knowledge of all relevant vehicle legislation and certification requirements for HV automotive battery packs
- Proven H&S knowledge and application within a Battery and Electric Vehicle environment
- Leadership experience in HV automotive systems product development projects from early R&D to series production
Preferred areas of experience include:
- HV Automotive Battery Systems development for high performance hybrid and/or electric vehicles
- Understanding of hybrid and electric powertrain system functionalities and attributes at vehicle, system and component levels
- Successful delivery experience of HV Battery Pack to production
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of battery technology, including:
- Design best practices (key parameters of module and pack level packaging, mechanical, thermal, wiring and sensing)
- Failure modes
- Manufacturing and assembly
- Supply base and market landscape
- Applicable industry standards and regulations
- System interfaces
- Testing and validation methods and execution (cell, module and pack)
- Automotive powertrain electrical, electronic and mechanical integration knowledge, including:
- LV and HV component specification (wiring, fuses, connectors, pin out diagrams)
- Electrical and electronic integration of battery pack into vehicle (including Electrical Architecture)
- Ability to take inverter requirements to develop HV harness connections and integration with ePT system
- Experience of SiL, HiL, and ViL activities in automotive laboratories and workshops
- Leading technical delivery teams to support electrical integration on labcars
- Authoring electrical test plans, validating testing specifications and parameters and producing test reports
- Knowledge of electrical automotive network and diagnostic knowledge J1939 Standard (CAN, Flexray, Ethernet).
- BMS functions and calibration
- Experience with on board electric vehicle charging systems and DCDC converters
- Busbar design
- Battery pack FMEA
- End of Line (EOL) testing and specification
- Use of test equipment to support electrical and electronic system testing
- Driving product development issues to a resolution
- Strong user of MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience with CAD (NX, CATIA)
- Responsibility in Formula Student/SAE team
Millbank are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Millbank operates as an Employment Agency and Business.