Mechanical Engineer - Nuclear Transportation and Packaging
Mechanical Transportation Engineer
Estimated Duration – 6 months
This role has been deemed outside of IR35
An assignment has arisen for a contract Mechanical Engineer with specialist experience in the field of Nuclear Transportation and Packaging, working with a leading nuclear specialist based in Harwell.
Mechanical Engineer Role Overview:
The Mechanical Engineer is principally a hands-on design-based role with a degree of team leadership. The Mechanical Engineer can be responsible for delivering a package of work within a project. You will have frequent liaison with other disciplines in the engineering team, inspectors, sites and within the client. Mechanical engineers are the main interface between senior engineers and hands-on detail design engineers.
Your Key responsibilities as a Mechanical Engineer:
- Development of designs to satisfy technical specifications and requirements.
- Prepare supporting design calculations to substantiation of designs.
- Check design calculations of designers and other engineers within the team
- Actively contribute to design & safety reviews (Risk Assessments & HAZOP’s) from technical standpoint
- Preparation of technical specifications in liaison with client and project team
- Produce design documentation throughout the design process including scope of works, method statements, risk assessments, technical files and other technical documentation to comply with design standards, safety legislation/regulatory requirements and those of the client
- Prepare installation, commissioning and operating documents
- Planning & allocation of workload to members of design team in order to deliver packages of work
- Management of sub-contractors providing niche services to the design.
- Responsible for managing the quality of the output of their team or their own deliverables.
- Responsible for adherence to internal procedures and external codes, standards and directives.
- Possible responsible for managing project packages that are sub-contracted to third parties.
- Creating designs that are compliant with safety regulations (e.g. CDM and CE marking).
- Ensure safety of working environment via design.
Position of the Mechanical Engineer within the organisation:
- Reporting to Senior, Principal Engineers and chief engineers
- Often managing a small team of designers or design engineers.
- Interaction with engineers of other disciplines, both internal and external
- Supervises Company support staff in delivery of work packages.
Ideally you will have the following qualifications, skills, experience and attributes…
- Delivered nuclear waste package designs to IAEA SSR-6
- A recognised engineering qualification such as HNC / HND / Degree.
- Membership of a relevant Institution (e.g. IMechE; IET; IED)
- Proven experience in the role of design in a nuclear environment, or other equivalent highly regulated industry.
- Good knowledge of detail design and detailed drawing production within a high-tech industry environment.
- Ability to working to tight deadlines & a strong team player attitude.
- Proven track record of successfully delivering design solutions.
- Concept through to commissioning experience (full lifecycle).
- Good understanding of Statutory and safety Regulations and their appropriate utilisation.
- Proven track record within a project environment with strong organisational and interpersonal skills.
- Good customer/client liaison skills and good commercial awareness.
- Demonstrable competence gained in a design delivery position.
- Knowledge of generic mechanical principle such as forces, stresses, materials selection & design principles
For this specific opportunity, the following attributes are desirable:
- Assisting the Senior or Nominated engineer to deliver a concept/detail design of transport package and ensuring design intent implemented at manufacturer
- Checking of Concept and Manufacturing drawings
- Production of and checking of structural calculations to recognized codes i.e. BS 2573, Eurocode, PD5500
- Production of and checking of technical documentation including operating, handling and maintenance instructions.
- Client interaction through weekly dial ins and regular face to face meetings
- Willing to travel to within the UK and internationally to attend client design meetings and to manufacturer’s site
- Worked within a manufacturing environment, design, testing and commissioning of bespoke equipment within a regulated industry.
- Production of Manufacturing drawings
- Witness testing of load and pressure testing, helium leak testing and factory acceptance testing.
- Responding to manufacturing TQ’s, concessions and repair procedures.
- Quality assurance checking of documentation material certification and quality plans.
- Knowledge of transport regulations (IAEA SSR-6) production of Package Design Safety Reports
- Appreciation of Shielding design
Millbank are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Millbank operates as an Employment Agency and Business.