Expert – HV Battery Systems (Electrical and Electronic Development)
To be responsible for High Voltage (HV) battery pack electrical and electronic specification, integration and on-time delivery to achieve vehicle attributes for hybrid and electric vehicles across all programmes
Key Responsibilities & Tasks:
As Expert, HV Battery Systems (Electrical and Electronic Development), you will work with Li-Ion batteries in automotive applications and be responsible for the following activities:
- To define, own and deliver HV battery pack electrical and electronic systems from concept through to production, including achieving:
- Function: Generate robust System Design Specification to define system functional targets; deliver components to achieve targets; establish regular design reviews with cross functional teams; support Test & Development team with DVP planning & execution & ensure supplier tests are completed on time.
- Package: Support CAD engineers to achieve static & dynamic clearance targets, negotiate component change in other internal R&D departments if required to achieve clearances.
- Quality: Identify & contain potential quality concerns using engineering quality systems (FMEAs, Robustness Studies)
- Cost: Definition of programme cost targets and working with suppliers to deliver system that achieves these targets
- Weight: Definition of programme weight targets and managing CAD engineers to design system that achieves targets
- Main point of contact for HV battery pack electrical and electronic systems for feasibility, functionality and resolution of technical issues
- Support Functional Safety, Cybersecurity and EMC activities to ensure compliance
- Cross-functional working with other R&D departments to define HV and associated LV systems balancing characteristics to achieve vehicle requirements for minimum cost
- Acquire and evaluate competitor benchmark information to influence concept creation in early project phases
- Coordinate system and supplier comparison studies and evaluate RFQ responses to influence management decisions
- Develop and deliver commodity strategy for HV battery pack electrical and electronic system
- Support completion of Change Tracking Documents, Engineering Release Notices & Releases to allow engineering changes to be approved by the organisation.
- Support resolution of engineering Concerns (using eCMS) in a timely fashion.
- Lead FMEAs and input to manufacturing PFMEAs.
- Support Mission Gateway objectives including Final Engineering Sign Off activities
- Present status at Gateways and support Powertrain design reviews, Package Meetings & Powertrain PMT meetings.
- Support Intellectual Property (IP) team to protect the generated IP
- Train, coach and present technical information and share the knowledge throughout the company
- Develop and record best practices and support development of design manuals to handle the Powertrain Electrification requirements of today and the future
Qualification & Experience:
The essential areas of previous experience required to undertake this role include:
- Delivery of HV battery electrical and electronic systems for hybrid and/or electric vehicles
- In depth knowledge of all relevant vehicle legislation and certification requirements for HV automotive battery packs
- Successful delivery experience of HV Battery Pack functional safety to production
- Knowledge of project life cycle management from early R&D to series production
- Hands on experience of working with LV and HV electrical and electronic systems
- Proven H&S knowledge and application within a Battery and Electric Vehicle environment
- Leadership experience in HV automotive systems product development projects to production
Preferred areas of experience include:
- HV Automotive Battery Systems development for high performance hybrid and/or electric vehicles
- Understanding of hybrid and electric powertrain system functionalities and attributes at vehicle, system and component levels
- Successful delivery experience of HV Battery Pack cybersecurity and EMC requirements to production
- Automotive powertrain electrical, electronic and mechanical integration knowledge, including:
- LV and HV component specification (wiring, fuses, connectors, pin out diagrams)
- Specification of sensors & their positioning
- Electrical and electronic integration of battery pack into vehicle (including Electrical Architecture)
- Experience of SiL, HiL, and ViL activities in automotive laboratories and workshops
- Leading technical delivery teams to support electrical integration on labcars
- Authoring electrical test plans, validating testing specifications and parameters and producing test reports
- Knowledge of electrical automotive network and diagnostic knowledge J1939 Standard (CAN, Flexray, Ethernet).
- BMS hardware and software calibration
- BMS functions (including communication protocols, fault reactions etc)
- Design best practices (key parameters of module and pack level packaging, wiring, sensing, mechanical and thermal)
- Experience with on board electric vehicle charging systems
- Ability to take inverter requirements to develop HV harness connections and integration with ePT system
- Ability to propose vehicle HV earthing layout
- Busbar design
- Battery pack FMEA
- Cell, module and pack testing, validation and data analysis
- End of Line (EOL) testing and specification
- Supply base and market landscape
- Trends and applicability of new HV battery system technologies including prevalent cell chemistries
- Use of test equipment to support electrical and electronic system testing
- Driving product development issues to a resolution
- Strong user of MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience with CAD (NX, CATIA)
- Responsibility in Formula Student/SAE team
Millbank are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Millbank operates as an Employment Agency and Business.