Gasoline Engine Development Engineer
Deliver engine innovation, development and validation testing to define and prove product attributes targets to support engine programme timing, cost and quality across engine projects.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Deliver engine innovation, development and validation testing to define and prove product attributes targets to support engine programme timing, cost and quality across engine projects.
- Plan and execute specific Performance and Economy, mechanical and durability testing. Define instrumentation and guide engine test technicians and engineers, have a thorough understanding of test measurement equipment (dyno control, emissions analyser, combustion analysis, fluid pressure and flow).
- Calibrate and interrogate Engine Management System to support test objectives and data acquisition. In-depth knowledge of Bosch Engine Management System desired.
- Inspect and report upon engine teardown components, identifying issues observed and measured.
- Deliver specific tasks for the Design Verification Plan. Write and issue technical reports against each completed test.
- Utilise engineering quality systems (FMEAs, Robustness Studies, etc.) and resource to identify, contain and resolve potential quality concerns. Maintain and evolve test and development good practice processes.
- Track testing programme budgets and control spend throughout the project to ensure effective use of funds and complete the project within budget.
- Deliver specific tasks for the engine Design Verification Plan, ensuring to meet programme timing, Mission milestones, design, procurement and engine builds.
- Support Development Reviews, Engine Teardown Events and Test Facility Review meetings.
- Support whole engine and engine sub-system Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis teams, and ensure test results are responded to the Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis owner.
- Use electronic Change Management Systems concerns process to report all issues encountered during build, test and inspection.
- Undertake concept studies and testing to support future product evaluation and demonstration.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Educated to Degree level or higher in an engineering discipline, or equivalent relevant experience.
- Ability to demonstrate technical expertise and competence in a range of engine test disciplines, and be able to take responsibility for successful delivery of designated elements of the engine Design Verification Plan.
- Previous delivery of key engine and systems test programmes.
- Prior demonstration of testing budget and timing management.
- Engine performance development experience.
- Engine mechanical development testing experience.
- Engine durability testing experience.
- Collective experience in engine product development testing.
- Experience in commodity product development process.
- Proficiency in Engine Management System tools (Bosch, INCA, Concerto,…).
- Strong people management; with peers, seniors, project and functional teams and externally.
- Astute project control; including resource planning, timing, milestones and meeting disciplines.
- Prescribe the testing budget and track the spend and ensure that it can be completed within the available budget and spend profile.
- Fluent presenter of technical information up to senior director level and in external partner and supplier companies.
- Ability to prioritise, delegate and deliver multiple tasks on a consistent basis.
- Must be flexible and identify the necessity for extraordinary application.
- Ability to communicate appropriately at all levels.
- Must be self-motivated and driven to achieve results.
- Office based with regular off site working and visits at testing supplier locations (UK and worldwide) and the engine manufacturing plant.
- UK/European driving licence.
Millbank are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Millbank operates as an Employment Agency and Business.