Rate: £ Negotiable
Industry: Oil & Gas
Job Type: Contract
Location: North West
Expiration date: 11 November 2017
The role of process technologist is part of the Technology team, which is a team of 45 Chemical Engineers based onsite at Stanlow Manufacturing Complex. The complex employs around 900 people and has two distinct areas, a 230 Kbarrels per day refinery and the Shell owned “HODer” Process Units (“SHOP” and Alcohols), together producing around 9 million tonnes of petroleum and petrochemical products per annum. Technology support to Stanlow site is divided into 7 teams; the process technologist role sits within one of the 5 teams that directly support the Production Units, and is responsible for both short and medium term front line support. The process technologist will proactively identify and deal with day to day unit optimisation and issues on site, as well as longer term improvements covering HSE, reliability, profitability and growth within the unit and across the site’s value chain linking feedstock purchasing through to product quality.
• Regularly and rigorously monitor, assess and report units’ short through to long term performance (including catalysts) using the suite of tools
• Identify and escalate accordingly process related threats to production and safety such that timely and cost effective responses can be implemented
• Complete month end data including validation of data for legislative reporting purposes
• Support unit operating teams in delivering production plans through
• Optimisation & Troubleshooting
• Accurate basic data for the Refinery Planning Tool
• Input to training
• Reactive investigation
• Provision, review and challenge of LP constraints
• Timely and fit for purpose technical guidance
• Definition of operating limits
• Technical development and approval of changes (using the site Management Of Change process) including records updates.
• Capital projects support
• Identify opportunities
• Develop and support commissioning of small / medium sized projects
• Provide input to larger / more technically complex projects
• Initiate, develop, lead technical studies to improve the unit’s performance
• Provide technical input to the procurement process including catalysts
• Support the preparation and execution of turnarounds, in particular –
• Process scope definition and optimisation
• Threat identification and investigation
• Equipment inspections and summary reports
Documentation – is the site owner for the unit’s; Technical Proactive Monitoring Document, P&IDs; Area Classification Drawings; Plot plans; COMAH process description and major accident hazards section, COMAH flow schemes; Energy Performance Tracking models; Process Safeguarding Memoranda; Process Alarm Manager (variable table information); Design data and Process Guides.
Core team member for key site processes with specific responsibilities (as outlined in specific process documentation) within these such as
• Risk Based Inspection
• Standard Operating Procedure Development
• Ensure Safe Production
Product quality / customers – understand key specifications and the potential impact on finished product quality within and downstream of unit such that can support internal and external customers.
With a MEng in Chemical Engineering or equivalent qualifications suitable for Chartership Application through the IChemE.
See Competency Management System detailed for Technical, HSE, personal, business and leadership competency skill requirements
Previous front line experience working on heavy industrial plant