Rate: £30 - £32 per hour
Job Type: Contract
Location: West Midlands
Expiration date: 23 February 2018
The purpose of this role is to plan, co-ordinate and deliver modelling and simulations for engines and engine systems using appropriate simulation tools, also orchestrate engine CAE analysis activity and report into engine system and project groups.
Deliver new or modified Engine System(s) into production by achieving:
Function: Co-ordinate and control all CAE simulation and analysis activity across all engine projects. Plan and deliver 1D simulation internally to support the engine concept and project DVP requirements. Orchestrate the delivery of all analysis activity to support the engine DVP requirements using appropriate internal and external resource. Maintain all in house CAE software and hardware, and evolve AML capability appropriate to project demands.
Quality: Support engine projects deployment of AML engineering quality systems (FMEAs, Robustness Studies, QHR) to prevent, identify and resolve potential quality concerns via CAE simulation and analysis.
Cost: Support the engine system groups to identify and deliver cost effective product and engineering solutions. Track and report the prescribed CAE budget for each project.
Weight: Support the engine system groups to achieve weight targets through design and analysis solutions.
Package: Support the engine system groups to achieve packaging compliance through design and analysis solutions.
Programme: Use the AM-Mission system to track progress virtual series in completing Unit Gateway and Checkpoint deliverables. Present system simulation and analysis report data to support design reviews, AML Package Meetings and Powertrain PMT meetings.
Planning: Define and manage all engine CAE activity to support timely and budgeted completion of all DVP tasks commanded by each project.
FMA: Support system DFMEAs and input to manufacturing PFMEAs where appropriate.
Issue Resolution: Report CAE based engineering Concerns via AML eCMS and within the timing guidelines. Support appropriate deployment of problem solving tools where required (8D, 6Sigma).
FDJ (final data judgement): Through virtual series and DVP, support project FDJ to achieve systems readiness declaration.
FEC (final engineering completion): Through virtual series and DVP, support project FEC to achieve systems engineering sign off.
Benchmarking: Evaluate industry CAE software technologies and evolutions appropriate for simulation and analysis across all engine sub-systems.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Educated to Degree level or higher in an engineering discipline, or equivalent relevant experience (see below).
• Technical capability in 1D engine simulation (or similar CAE competency).
• Previous delivery using engine or powertrain CAE applications
• Gasoline engine system or sub-system design and/or development experience.
• Working as part of an engineering product development team within a product development process.
• Plan and track the spend of CAE activity to ensure that it can be completed within the available budget.
• Must be able to present technical information to peers and management.
• Must be able to write technical and project reports as required.
• Knowledge of TCE (TeamCentre Engineering) and Visualization Mockup.
• Working ability of CAD (preferably Unigraphics NX)
• Proficient in office software (Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Project)
• To operate successfully in this role, the candidate should be able to prioritise multiple tasks on a day to day level, must be flexible and able to communicate at all levels.
• The successful candidate must also be self-motivated and driven to achieve results.
• The role is office based with engineering support for prototype workshop and production line as required.
• There will be visits to suppliers’ facilities / testing locations (UK and worldwide) or the engine manufacturing plant.
• Driving licence and medical clearance in needed to use high speed tracks and hot and cold environmental chambers if required to support development activities.