Project Engineer – Powertrain Electrification (Test & Validation)
To be responsible for the planning and on-time delivery of DVP testing for all Powertrain Electrification components and systems to achieve targets through to production on all programmes.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks:
As Project Engineer, Powertrain Electrification Systems Testing and Validation, your responsibilities will include:
- Function: Support generation of robust System Design Specifications to define system functional targets and feature specification leading to DVP testing
- DVP: Lead Powertrain Electrification DVP testing activities (planning & execution) to ensure all tests are completed successfully and on time; develop and implement testing procedures; define appropriate test objectives; define instrumentation and data acquisition methods; arrange use of appropriate test measurement equipment; guide test technicians and engineers; write and issue technical reports against each completed test
- Inspection: Inspect and report on teardown components, identifying issues observed and measured.
- Quality: Identify & contain potential quality concerns using engineering quality systems (FMEAs, Robustness Studies); develop and record best practices and lead development of DVP testing process manuals to handle the Powertrain Electrification requirements of today and the future
- Cost: Establish testing programme budgets. Monitor and control spend throughout to ensure effective use of funds to complete testing work within budget.
- Communication: Establish regular DVP testing reviews with cross functional teams. Support development reviews, teardown events and test facility review meetings.
- FMA: Support sub-system DFMEA teams and ensure test results are responded to the DFMEA owner.
- Concerns System: Use eCMS concerns process to report all issues encountered during build, test and inspection.
- Concept Engineering: Undertake concept studies and testing to support future product evaluation and demonstration.
- Data provision: Provide accurate and reliable data to simulation department for model correlation
- Work cross-functionally with other R&D departments to develop efficient hybrid and electric vehicle systems testing procedures to achieve vehicle requirements on-time and on-budget
- Main point of contact for Powertrain Electrification component and system testing on specific programmes
- Responsible for resolution of all Powertrain Electrification component and system testing issues on specific programmes
- Coordinate testing facility comparison studies and evaluate RFQ responses to influence management decisions
- Train, coach and present technical information and share the knowledge throughout the company
Qualification & Experience:
The successful candidate will demonstrate technical expertise and competence in a range of test disciplines and be able to take responsibility for successful delivery of Powertrain Electrification component and system DVP. The essential areas of previous experience required to undertake this role include:
- Delivery of Powertrain Electrification system testing for hybrid and/or electric vehicles
- Background in powertrain test operations and development
- Knowledge of all relevant vehicle legislation and certification requirements for Powertrain Electrification system testing
- Hands on experience of working with low voltage and high voltage vehicle systems
- Knowledge of project life cycle management from early R&D to series production
Preferred areas of experience include:
- Delivery of Powertrain Electrification system testing for high performance hybrid and/or electric vehicles
- Understanding of hybrid and electric powertrain system functionalities and attributes at vehicle, system and component levels
- Automotive powertrain testing knowledge, including:
- Automotive battery, eMotor, inverter, DCDC converter and on-board charging system technology
- Proficiency in use of powertrain calibration and networking tools
- On-vehicle power distribution systems
- High voltage energy management
- Experience with Labcar builds, rig design and Hardware-in-the-Loop (HiL) systems
- Experience with electrical testbed systems (e.g. Kratzer, Bitrode, AVL)
- Use of test equipment to support electrical and electronic system testing
- Experience in training staff in safe working on High Voltage systems
- Strong programming capabilities (MATLAB/Simulink, C++)
- Experience with CAD (NX, CATIA)
- Leading engagement with engineering partners and test facilities
- Leading of design verification plans ensuring timely completion of Final Engineering Sign off
- Driving product development issues to a resolution
- Responsibility in Formula Student/SAE team
Millbank are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Millbank operates as an Employment Agency and Business.